Anthony Weiner has confessed. The long national nightmare is over. He refused to resign, but the erect representative will likely endure a rough sex probe in the House.
But while Weiner is undoubtedly a lying creep with too much time on his hands (or perhaps with his hands), he’s not alone. Other politicians have done creepy sexual things, and this story goes beyond the tabloid trash that many in the media can’t get enough of.
This story is also about the arrogance of elected officials, who oftentimes see themselves as better than everyone else and free from the rule of law (or at least free from the restrictions of common sense).
Let’s take a quick look at some of the most recent scandals and what they say about our political system and society as a whole:
- Anthony Weiner (D-NY)
- Sexted girls he met online
- Couldn’t say for sure if any were underage
- Lied about it for days, blamed hackers
- Lesson: Politicians can be dirtbags and get far in the Democrat party, particularly since it is the party of no moral values
- Solicited prostitutes despite campaigning on “family values”
- Liked to wear diapers when he was with hookers
- Somehow managed to stay in office and get reelected
- Lesson: You can be a hypocrite in politics as long as you can get reelected
- Had “tickle fights” with male staff members
- Admitted that he “groped a male staffer”
- Lived with a bunch of his bachelor aides
- Resigned, allegedly because of a cancer scare
- Lesson: I would have expected Dems to embrace this guy’s experiments with his sexuality
- Sent sexually suggestive messages to teenage boys who served as House pages
- Creeped everyone out
- Served as chair of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children
- In 2010, he opened a consignment shop in West Palm Beach
- Lesson: It is clear that both parties disagree with the goals of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA)
- Caught in a prostitution ring
- Resigned as Gov. of NY
- Went after law breakers yet was a lawbreaker himself
- Now has a show on CNN, the “most trusted name in news,” and no one watches it
- Lesson: Apparently anyone can get a show on CNN, and Spitzer is the most embarrassing host on CNN since Rick Sanchez left
- Fathered a child with his housekeeper
- Fails in his personal life like he did in his political life
- Lesson: Celebrity politicians are just as bad as regular ones
- Fathered a child with campaign photographer
- Kept it hidden, allegedly breaking election law in the process
- Wife had cancer at the time
- Lesson: Somehow, sleazeball phonies like this can get into office. And to think, he could have been Vice President.
- Crusing for lady friends on Craigslist, despite being married
- Uploaded a pathetic shirtless picture
- Resigned from Congress immediately
- Republicans lost the special election to fill his seat
- Lesson: Republicans need to get better at special elections
(dis)Honorable mentions from the GOP: Former Senator John Ensign, Fomer Governor Mark Sanford, Former Senator Larry Craig
(dis)Honorable mentions from the Dems: Former Gov. Jim McGreevey, Pres. Bill Clinton, L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
I could write more about this, but I’m getting pretty bored with this topic. Sorry for the illiterate bullet points, but these dirtbags don’t deserve proper English.
UPDATE (7:45 PM Saturday): Nancy Pelosi and the DNC Chair have both called for Rep. Weiner’s resignation after he admitted to texting a 17-year-old girl. Weiner has said that he will take a leave of absence to go to rehab. I recommend chemical castration.
And in other related news, Jim Pinkerton mentioned this article on Fox News Watch over the weekend. It’s about why Anthony Weiner’s confession failed. Check it out.